Discuss About Sheet Pile (薄皮) & Its Different Types
What is Meant by Sheet Pile (薄皮)?
A pile that is pressed or molded from heavy steel sheet metal or vinyl relates with other same piles to form a retaining wall or installation of another piling.
Sheet piles are sections of sheet materials with an interlocking border that are driven into the underground to provide earth holding and digging support. It’s made of steel, but also made from timber or reinforced concrete.
The sheet piling concept is pretty straightforward. Wherever a wall or siding needs to be held back, steel sheets are scotch into the earth at a predetermined depth. The piles are driven into the soil with vibratory hammers. In some cases, they may be installed with hydraulic presses.
Sheet pile has been used to support mining for underground parking structures, basements, pump houses, and foundations, to construct tunnels, seawalls, and bulkheads. For a long service life, permanent steel sheet piles are designed. A sheet pile is highly water-resistant and a unique and durable bond offering.
A product is mainly made with heavy, strong, and durable steel and the steel must be sustainable. It is also made from timber, vinyl, polymeric, aluminum, or precast concrete.
Modern sheet pile driving equipment uses many methods to raise the weight and guide the pile. The sheet pile driving equipment is- diesel hammer, vertical travel lead systems, hydraulic hammer, hydraulic press-in, vibratory pile driver/extractor, and piling rig.
There are two basic driving methods for sheet pile installation- one is pitch and drive and another one is panel driving. For a successful sheet pile driving there has some key elements. These elements are- topographical features, geological conditions, use of the most appropriate type of sheet section, and the correct choice of driving hammer.
For sheet piling, engineers apply some methods. The most common methods of installing steel sheet pile walls are- vibrating, impact driving, hydraulic pushing, jetting, and trenching.
There are some basic installation steps for install sheet piles. They are- The first step is arranging the sheets in sections to check if the piles will interlock correctly or not. The second step is hammering the first sheet to the defined depth as per the design. The third one is using vibratory hammers for installation, but use impact hammers if the soil is hard or dense. Another step is for installing the sheet piles is using hydraulics to push the sheets into place if vibrations are prohibited at that particular site. After the first sheet is placed, drive the second sheet so that it interlocks with the first one. Then repeat the process until the wall is completed. And the last step for installing a sheet pile is using connector elements to maintain the integrity of the wall if it requires complex shapes.
Using of steel sheet pile in construction site is increasing day by day in Dhaka including allover in Bangladesh. SIMEX Bangladesh delivered any sheet pile in Dhaka also in whole Bangladesh. For selling high-quality sheet pile in Bangladesh, SIMEX Bangladesh is a leading company in this native industry. So, if anyone looking for the best sheet pile in Bangladesh, then SIMEX Bangladesh will be the right destination.
Advantages of Sheet Pile (薄皮) Driving are-
- They are recyclable and reusable.
- It comes in a wide range of lengths, sizes, and steel options.
- Using both temporary and permanent structures.
- Easy to install when using silent and vibration-free methods.
- The work is neat, clean, and creates no spoil arising’s.
- The supervision of work on-site can be reduced, and minimal storage space is required.
- It can provide a close-fitting joint to form an effective water seal.
- They have a long life above and below water, making them advantageous for marine and coastal projects.
When installing a sheet pile engineers have to keep in mind some caution. Taking all the precautions engineers should install the sheet pile. There are some important caution for sheet piling driving-
- Always established a template system.
- Rule of thumb: When driving long, heavy sections of Steel Sheet Piling, Crane Boom length should be twice that of the sheets one is driving.
- A panel of sheet piling should be threaded and set prior to driving any sheets to grade
- Align and plumb the first two sheets and drive carefully and accurately.
- Drive sheets in pairs when possible placing the hammer in the center of the pair.
- Some contractors recommend not driving a sheet more than 1/3 its length before driving the adjacent pile.
- Never rush the Pile Foreman.
Different Types of Sheet Piles
In Bangladesh, there are using many types of sheet piles for construction work. Some popular types of sheet pile founding in Bangladesh are as follows –
U Type Sheet Pile (他剝了字體表)
U type Sheet Pile is a cross-section width which ensures that the mechanical properties of some structure specially cross-section structure are also designed reasonably and have a high-quality factor. The use of U type sheet piles is usually s
upplied as double piles, with the common interlock crimped or welded. But welded can be more expensive.
The benefits of using U shaped sheet piles in construction sectors are many:
- It has a wide range of sections,
- Statically properties excellence,
- Great expedition for re-use
- Easy installation
- Gives a long-lasting performance
Z Type Sheet Pile (J型片狀果皮)
Z type sheet pile is known as Z’s because each of the single piles is shaped like a horizontally straight Z that is generally driven in aching or welded doubles. Z type sheet piles are widely used in port construction or deep foundation as a result of Z profiles will have a much bigger modulus and can be used as intermediary piles for cannulas and HZ combined walls. Z piles are the most common type of sheet pile in Bangladesh and can be used widely in the construction sector.
The advantages of using Z type sheet piles in the construction sectors are:
- It is an especially competitive section-modulus-to-mass quantitative relation.
- For reduced deflection it increased its inertia
- For smart installation performance, it leads to an outsized breadth
- Corrosion resistance is good
- At the critical corrosion points, the steel is being thickest.
Hat Type Sheet Pile (剝熱型紙)
A hat type sheet pile is one amongst them. Hat type sheet pile’s effective width is 900mm (Maximum in the world as rolled piles). The pile direction is that the same for every pile. it’s a straight and effective section.
The benefits of applying Hat type sheet piles are several, such as-
- Steel weight of walls will be reduced
- Slender and full sectional performance is 100%
- Can be fully utilized in any requirements.
- Different section type and high applicability
- Construction process make faster
- Suitable for Repeat Use
- Minimal Deformation
- It can make construction affordable
Straight Web Sheet Pile (直網片剝離)
Straight web sheet piles are mostly used on projects where rock layers are quite superficial, where the excavation depth is very high, or wherever anchoring would be troublesome or perhaps not possible. Straight web sheet piles can be temporary or permanent both.
The main applications of straight web sheet piles are-
- It is extremely deep tunnels or dry-docks
- Deep-sea jetty walls
Contact with your trusted sheet piles supplier in Bangladesh or inquire about what we can do for you. We have dedicated customer service representatives who can answer all of your questions. We’re always happy to provide you with our services and information over the phone or schedule a time to discuss your project face to face.